Saturday, October 25, 2008

Beef chops and bread

We are in the waning moments of our local political race. A new mayor and seven city councilmen will be chosen tomorrow. (Sunday) Just last night Ruth and I were talking about the political process and how we would like to see things done differently. We lamented the fact that we know so little about the candidates and concluded that it sure would be nice to ask them personally "why do you want to hold this office and what makes you different from the other candidates?" So we prayed about it and went to sleep.
Early this morning I ventured out to buy some fresh bread and noticed that the butcher was just bringing in the fresh slaughter of beef. (sorry, my vegetarian friends) Sometimes it takes an hour to place your order at the butcher so I took advantage of the fact that there was only one person in line before me. So, as I am waiting for the butcher to cut up the beef in walks one of the candidates for city council. I ask him, "Don Carlos, are you nervous about tomorrow?" He responds that "no" he is not nervous, he is tranquilo. After a little bit of small talk I throw out the big question, "Why do you want to be a city councilman and what distinguishes you from the other candidates?" (maybe I could have been a reporter, but on second thought I am already a herald of the good news!) He looked a little surprised, but then gave a very good answer to my question. I thanked him for his time and paid for my beef and proceeded on to the bread store. I bought the bread and then went home. Ruth asks, "What happened? Did you go to buy the bread or to make it yourself?" Then I told her the story that I just related to you all. It is like another post that I had from the other day "opportunities". Sometimes we pray for, sometimes we wait for opportunities, and sometimes they just fall into our laps. I wanted to talk to one of the candidates and ask him (or her) some direct questions. I wanted to buy some bread. I "always"am ready to buy some fresh beef. The Lord gave me the opportunity to do all three.
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." (Matthew 7:7-8)
The Lord is so intimately involved in our lives. Our God is not the god of the deist, our God is the Living God, the Maker of heaven and earth and the One whose eye is on the sparrow and how much more important to Him we are than they. (Matthew 10:29-31)

No comments: