Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Crying over spilled milk

If only slow motion replay could be applied to real life. As I was walking behind the one year old milk toting Tabitha, I noticed that her shoestring was undone. "I should tie that so she doesn't trip over it", I said to myself. And before I got that thought out of my head, my big foot stepped on her untied shoelace and she and her cup of milk went crashing to the floor below. A big cry went out as she noticed that her precious drink had been so ruthlessly taken away. I was not looking forward to cleaning up the milk but knew that I needed to do it. While Tabi cried about her spilled milk I couldn't help but think about that oft-used phrase, "don't cry over spilled milk." Of course this little one would not understand my rebuke nor consolation in this matter. However it did reinforce in my mind the importance of always trusting in the Lord and focusing on His faithfulness and immutability. Whatever has happened to us has happened. We can't change it. But God can heal from whatever wound we have suffered from. What is happening right now is happening right now. We may not be able to change it, but we can rest assured that the Lord will give us the grace that we need to get through it. What will happen is going to happen. (rest assured no nihilism nor fatalism found here) We can trust that God is good and that He does all things right and has, is, and will use all things for His glory and for the good of those who love Him. So don't cry over spilled milk. If His eye is on the sparrow and not one of them falls to the ground without Him knowing (and allowing it to happen!), He knows what's going on with your milk. Just clean it up and trust in the Lord for His provision of another glass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow D, that was spot-on & exactly what I needed to be reminded of this morn. Our God is El Roi!

Hugs for Tabi!