Thursday, February 26, 2009

Go to the right person

The Apostle Paul was inspired to write down some beautiful words in his first letter to Timothy. In chapter 2 and verse 5 of that letter it states "for there is one God and one mediator between God and man, the man Jesus Christ." There is no other. As much as people would like to assume or pretend that there is, God's Word speaks differently. Similar to the words of the Lord Jesus in John 14:6 "I am the way and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but through me." We must go to and through the right person. "In none other is there salvation, because there is no other name under heaven given to man in which we can be saved."(Acts 4:12) The One and only!
Today I asked my friend Jorge to take my ailing pick-up truck to the mechanic. He assured me that he knew of whom I was speaking when I detailed to him the directions to the shop of the mechanic who regularly fixes the truck. Jorge phoned me to tell me that the mechanic was out of town and potentially would be back later in the day. So when later in the day came around Jorge went back and "yes" the mechanic was there. Jorge began to explain to the mechanic to whom the truck belonged and that I had taken the truck to him for a similar situation, etc. The mechanic then told Jorge that he had never worked on the truck and that Jorge had mistakenly taken the truck to the wrong mechanic! "My" mechanic was just a little ways down the road. In this case Jorge thought that he knew the way to the mechanic but it turned out that although he did make it to "a" mechanic he just didn't make it to the "right" mechanic. And so it is with many people. They are so sure that they know the way to God. They may believe that there are many ways to God or they may believe that there is just one way, but that way is not Jesus. According to the Bible they will one day realize the same thing that Jorge did. They thought that they knew the way but they were wrong. There is only one God and there is only one way to Him; it is through His Son Jesus Christ. Whereas I have never heard Him referenced to as the "Great Mechanic", I have heard Him referenced to as the "Great Physician". "He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed. We all like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all."(Isaiah 53:5-6) As the old hymn writer penned "Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe, sin had left a crimson stain, now it's white as snow." Not because of anything that we have done, do or ever could do. But because "It is finished!"(John 19:30) My hope is found in nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness. I have been spiritually repaired because I went to the right person. The only One who lived a perfect life and gave it as propitiation for my sin and for the sin of all those who would believe.(Mark 10:45) Alabado sea nuestro SeƱor!

No comments: