Monday, January 28, 2008

Would you please take this from me?

No this is not the phrase that I use as I pass out gospel tracts. This phrase "take this please" or in the spanish "podria tomar esta por favor" turned out to be quite humorous. To me at least. Today was one of those days when you wish you were in Western Michigan. I needed to take the Chevrolet pickup in for some much needed work on the shocks and rotors. As it turned out the problem was much larger than we had originally thought and the mechanic told me that I was fortunate that the passenger side front tire hadn't fallen off the truck as I was going down the road. But anyway, why would I be glad to be back in Western Michigan? The drill here is much different when it comes to vehicle repair. The customer must first buy the parts and take them to the mechanic who just might be able to put them on. He might have to send you someplace else. Or you might have to wait all day to have the job done. No courtesy shuttle. No free coffee. No soft chairs to relax in. Just lots of waiting around and lots of time to be patient. Hopefully.
So what about the "take this please" phrase? It has long been my policy to not travel alone if I don't have to. I enjoy taking people along so that I can help them save a couple of pesos and try to sow the seed of the gospel. Today I had two passengers with me. The first one was picked up right in town and the other was picked up about 5 miles outside of our town on the way to the big town where I would get the truck fixed. The second passenger was an elderly woman probably about 75 years old. She had her faced weathered and dried by the sun but an interesting sparkle in her eyes. We talked a bit along the way and then when it was time to cross over on the ferry I decided to back onto the ferry so as to be able to roll right off on the other side. My front seat passenger was busy talking on the cell phone and I had a can in my hand. I probably could have backed up with the can still in my hand but thinking that it would be easier without the can I said to the back seat passenger "podria tomar esta por favor?" Would (or could) you please take this from (or for) me? She readily took the can and as I was backing up I saw her take a chug and smile. I had to control my laughter. Talk about a lack of communication. I just wanted her to "take hold" of my can, not "take a chug" out of it. Not only that but I was a bit concerned for her given that it was an energy drink. Hopefully she doesn't have a problem with B12 and caffiene. She gave me back the can and I just held the can until later and then threw the rest of the drink away. I don't know why I didn't want to drink it, maybe just the thought of an unknown person's backwash. Anyway I found the whole thing kinda funny and what made it more funny was her innocence and contentment with the whole situation.
So after a long, frustrating day with auto parts stores and mechanics I look back on the morning and my time with the old lady and I smile. And I remember that we need not carry our burdens by ourselves but the Lord has offered to "take them from us". (Matt 11:28-30) There is so much to be thankful for and I ask that you pray for me and for the rest of us down here that we would be faithful to share what the Lord has freely given to us. First of all His love through the gospel of His Son Jesus Christ and also that we would open our hands to share the material blessings that He has bestowed upon us.
Daniel

No comments: