Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Would your car pass the "revision tecnica"?

I imagine that if you are like most U.S. car owners, you have never thought about having to put your vehicle(s) up against the rigors of a finetooth comb inspection. Well every year in Chile it is required for all vehicles (except new ones) to pass a full technical revision. And it isn't always a walk in the park. How do you think your vehicle would do if faced with such a mighty foe? Here in Chile if your vehicle cannot pass the revision then you have to fix it until it can pass. You are breaking the law if you drive your vehicle without it having passed the technical revision. And now another question... With that being said, how many of you would be walking and/or riding a bike rather than driving a car? I went to the revision expecting to pass but what I almost did was pass out. I couldn't believe all the things that they found to be wrong with my truck. At first I thought that they were being a little too nitpicky and that all of these repairs were going to be a big hassle. Whereas I have spoken of in previous posts, these repairs have been a real hassle. But as I found out yesterday and today they also bring their blessings.
One of the reasons for the revision is to assure the safety of the driver and for others on the road. Yesterday when I went in to get the shocks changed (yes they got me on that too!) the mechanic told me that I was very close to having my wheel fall off of the truck. So we got that fixed up. Then today I was getting the brakes fixed and was informed that there were some more serious issues to deal with. That is now taken care of as well. Tomorrow and Thursday I hope to wrap up the repairs and maybe on Friday the truck will pass the technical revision. But looking back on it all I thank the Lord that He had mercy on each and everyone who has been riding in the truck. And I give Him thanks for His sovereign direction in all of this. Check this out... Down here on the island there are a couple of places to go for the technical revision. One is very, very busy and very, very slow but at the same time quite easy to pass. The other is operated efficiently and is not easy to pass. After having failed the "easy" one due to some minor issues, I went to the "hard" one thinking that since I had corrected the aforementioned minor issues I would pass with flying colors. Boy was I wrong. The only flying colors were the "red" marks all over the printout that I received. Many things were found to be deficient. So when I shared the results with a brother from the church down here, he encouraged me to go back to the "easy" revision center so that I would pass and not need to spend anymore $$$$. I thought that the saving of $$$$ would be nice but the more that I thought about it, I thought that maybe those guys at the "hard" revision center had it right. I should get these things fixed so that I can have a safer, more efficient vehicle. And that's what led me to get these repairs done over the last couple of days and those repairs quite possibly saved my life and the lives of my passengers. The Lord had a plan with this all along and His plans are always good! (Is 55:8-9)
Hopefully on Friday night I will write a post telling about my having passed the technical revision. I won't ask that you pray in this direction, I just ask that you pray along with me that the Lord would continue to glorify Himself as He works in and through our lives.
Yours in Christ,
Daniel

No comments: