Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Seek first the Kingdom of God

Interesting how things often turn out differently than we had planned. This past Saturday I had a Bible Study set up at 2 pm with a brother from our church. It had been raining hard all day (and the night before) so we got a little wet on the way down to the church. Ruth had come along with me to set things up for our services the following day. Around 3:30 pm there was a knock on the door. It was the brother with whom I was to have the Bible Study at 2 pm. "What happened?" I asked him. He told me that he didn't think that I was going to come due to the bad weather and that he now had to fulfill a commitment that he had with his family. "Could you give me a lift?" was his next statement. I agreed and off we went. The roads were wet and the ground was soft and muddy. Jorge advised me to just leave him at the entrance to his parents house but I insisted to go down the hill and take advantage of the opportunity to share with his parents as well. (dad professes faith in Christ) So we go down the hill and I suddenly notice that it is the grass is extremely soft and mushy and I am not going to make it out very easily. I try a couple of times to get to higher ground but to no avail. Then came the crazy idea....
Why don't we try to push the truck uphill? It only weighs a couple of thousand pounds! How crazy. I get out and Jorge and I are pushing the truck from the back end when it starts to advance backwards and not forwards. "What's the big deal?" you may ask. Well, down the hill is about a 200 meter drop into the ocean. Not good. So I need to make a split second decision. I must somehow stop the truck and fast. I run around the side and dive into the front cab and slam on the break. What an adrenaline rush. What a relief to have stopped the vehicle but now how were we going to get it out? We went out onto the side road and someone with 4 wheel drive passed by. He hooked on to my truck and was able to pull me out. I was really wishing that I would have had the $$$ to get my 4 wheel drive fixed. Maybe later. Anyway I say "chao" to Jorge and agree to see him the next day in church. Sunday comes around and after the children's Sunday School the adults started to come out for our adult service. We always give time for testimonies and on this day Jorge came forward. He rehearsed for the group what had gone on the day prior and how he had been at fault. Through tears he shared with the congregation about his poor decision in having blown off the Bible Study in order to watch a soccer game with his brother and father. And then there was almost the major incident with the truck. He stated that he had erred in seeking the things of this world before the things of the Kingdom of God. Jorge finished by stating that with the help of the Lord he wouldn't do this again. What a testimony! He recognized his sin and gave glory to the Lord by so doing and encouraged the rest of us to have our priorities right: seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. And there was even a little bit of irony thrown in..... After I had been towed out and went on my way, Jorge went back into his parents house. His dad came in the room and invited Jorge to have something to eat. Jorge said "Dad, we are going to miss the game." Then his dad countered with "Son, the game has been postponed due to the bad weather." When I heard this I couldn't help but laugh and thank God for His mercy and for using this situation in our lives to draw us closer to Himself.

No comments: