Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"I Thought That You Were a Bum!"

Today I needed to go over to Castro and buy some parts for the mechanic who was fixing our truck. Things here are a little different than in the good ol U.S.A. No Napa nor Parts Plus to deliver the parts to the garage. It's the client's responsibility to pick up whatever the mechanic tells you to get. And you had better get the order right considering that it is a 3 hour round trip to pick them up. Wahoo!
So anyway as I am walking around getting the necessary materials I happen upon a couple from our church. (see picture in post below) I spot them from about 20 feet as I they are walking towards me. But did they see me? When they are just about to walk by me (without having said anything), I say "hola". And still nothing. So then I follow them a couple of steps and say, "como estan?" Still nothing but I note that they appear a little uncomfortable. I take a couple of more steps closer and say "Osvaldo y Miriam...." Miriam turns around and looks at me and says, "I thought you were a bum!" People say the sweetest things sometimes. They had been walking arm and arm, all cuddly with their little baby between them and they didn't even notice that the guy who was greeting them wasn't a bum but it was their pastor. We had a good laugh, greeted one another more appropriately, and warmly went our seperate ways. Of course it made me think of the way(s) that we perceive and react to people, things, and situations.
Well I finally corraled all of the car parts on my list and after sharing lunch and fellowship with a local pastor friend I was off to drop off the parts to the mechanic. Upon arrival I show him the parts and fortunately they were all met with approval. Supposedly the truck will be ready tomorrow by noon. (we will see) So back to the bus stop. On the way to the bus stop I stopped by the home of a very poor family and had some good fellowship with one who is a believer and had a good opportunity to share the gospel with one who isn't yet. (to my knowledge) It was a special time to share with them. Now I need to walk about 10 minutes to get to the bus stop. As I am approaching the bus stop I notice that their is a bus zooming by but I am never going to catch it because the last two blocks to the bus stop are uphill. Why not sit down for a minute, I think to myself. Seated there waiting for the next bus (about 15 minutes between them) I am going over the day and rehearsing the different situations in which the Lord placed me. Then I got a visitor. A heavy man, with the stereotypical "bum-look" pushing a handcart stops right in front of me and asks "What are you doing here?" And I'm like "waiting for the bus." So he sits down next to me and starts asking me a bunch of questions. Alright, two can play at this game. I ask him some questions with the idea of sharing about the gospel of Christ. We had a good conversation and although at first I was taken aback by his look and demeanor I am glad for the opportunity to have shared with him about the Way, the Truth and the Life. Yes sir, Don Patricio "I thought that you were a bum" but now I realize that you are one of the people that we have been praying for when we say "Lord please give me the opportunity to tell others about you." Because of our sin we are all bums. Bouncing around without any kind of bearing, just responding to the stimuli around us. However now through faith in Christ we are dressed in new clothes (Luke 15:22; Galatians 3:27; Romans 13:14) and are no longer seen as bums, but seen as dearly beloved sons and daughters of the Most High God! (Luke 6:35; 2nd Corinthians 6:18) Yes I was a bum, but now I am a Son of God!

No comments: