Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Keeping watch

Tonight was one of the nights when I laced up the old sneakers and headed off to the local gym. I brought along two of my biggest fans, Elizabeth and Daniel. Of course they didn't spend much time watching me play, but just having them there made the time more enjoyable. The competition was decent as we had the old guys (my team) against the young guys. The final tally indicated that we might be old but we can score more baskets than the younger guys.
Anyway upon coming home I needed to get the truck in off from the street and park it in the driveway. So I did that and before coming into the house I took a quick moment to look up into the sky and check out the stars. It has been pretty clear the past couple of nights and this has made for some nice vistas in the sky. I really enjoy taking a moment (when I can and when I think about it) to look up at the stars. The heavens declare the glory of the Lord. (Psalm 19:1a) Well, as I am still out in the front of the house checking out the show in the heavens I look over to my left on ground level and see another thing of beauty. Next to our house is an open lot. Green grass and the open space make it a nice pasture for several sheep. When I saw them lying down for the night, I had the verse pop in my mind from Luke 2:8, "And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night." Why that verse? For several reasons. 1. There were sheep. 2.It was night. 3. I am a shepherd. The last reason brings to my mind another verse, found in Acts 20:28 "Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God which He bought with His own blood." What a beautiful, powerful verse! Without much commentary I would just ask that you pray for us and for the flock that the Lord has placed in our care. And that we as well would ever remember that although "we were as sheep going astray, (but) now we have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of our souls." (1st Peter 2:25) And He doesn't slumber nor sleep, He is always keeping watch. (Psalm 121) Amen.

No comments: