Sunday, July 13, 2008

Thankful for a weak battery

As Elizabeth, Daniel and I were just outside of Puerto Montt the battery on the truck started to lose strength. "Oh great", I thought to myself. This was a one-month old battery and I could not imagine that it was the battery itself that was the problem, maybe it was the alternator. (No, I am not a mechanic but I have learned from past experiences.) So anyway we limp into town and do what we need to do and find our lodging for the night. First thing in the morning we go to a garage and they send us to another garage and they send us to another garage until we finally get to the place where a guy comes out to the truck and takes out the alternator. He puts it in the vise and takes it apart. "Aqui esta tu problema", here's your problem he says to me. I am directed to go across the street and buy a new part for the alternator. I go across the street and buy the part and when I come back the mechanic has found another problem. And I am glad he did. The fan belt was razor thin in at least three places and could have broken off at any moment. The mechanic proceeded to explain to me that this would have been "muy malo", or very bad. "El motor se puede calentar demasiado y el motor podria echarse a perder", the motor could overheat and be ruined. So I thanked him for his eagle eye and went across the street to buy a 3 dollar fan belt. He puts it on and we pay him his $25 fee and are on the road. Normally I would not have been thankful for a weak battery nor for the need to replace part of an alternator. But considering the fact that the Lord used this to mercifully save the functionability of our truck was reason to give thanks. The moral of the story..... Do not be so quick to judge that the situation is bleak and/or without hope. The Lord knows what is going on and He will use whatever it is for His glory. In all things give Him thanks! (1st Thessalonians 5:18)

No comments: